As difficult as it may be, we all know the benefits of truly unwinding and unplugging from the everyday routine, especially during the summer. The simple solution would of course be to book into a luxurious Bali villa. As the kids finish school for the summer holidays and thoughts lead to the family holiday, stress levels begin to rise once again as you combine work, children and squeezing in that all important vacation. But it’s crucial to enjoy it and truly relax and recharge.
Learning to truly unwind helps us become happier in general but as important as it is for our health, we always seem to find excuses not to do it.
Of course we would all like to be able to book a memorable vacation in some far-off exotic location such as Bali but in the meantime, here are 10 pointers to help you unwind, recharge and energise.
1. Spend some time outdoors. When we spend our time in nature, it naturally calms us and gives us a feeling of inner peace. The bonus is natural sunlight which gives us our vitamin D—great for the bones and a mood booster.
2. Unplug from technology. Use the summer as an excuse to be in vacation mode. Even if you can only do this once a week, take time to connect to nature by unplugging from technology.
3. Start a fitness program that is fun and adventurous. Go hiking, bike riding or swimming—something new and fun! Make it better by bringing a friend.
4. Slow down. It’s summer; start living mindfully by doing one task at a time, enjoying the beauty around you and living in the moment.
5. Spend time with friends and family. Set up date nights and fun nights. The days are longer so it’s a great time to really go out and have fun!
6. Do activities you love. Read the book you never had time to read, take a day trip to a new town and see new sights, go to the beach and relax. This is the time to do it.
7. Step outside your comfort zone. Try something new. It can be something simple like trying a new drink or food or a new restaurant. Every time we try something new we take a risk and feel a boost of happiness.
8. If you have “personal time” from work, use it. Enjoy some free time with no expectations. It doesn’t matter if you go on vacation or just take a walk; it’s about enjoying some time off.
9. Create some “me time.” I wake up 10 minutes earlier in the summer to sit outside on my deck with my coffee and just enjoy the silence. All you need to do is take 10 to 15 minutes a day for you!
10. Breathe. Even with nice weather and longer days we can still get stressed. So, when you feel the stress coming, take a moment to close your eyes and take a deep breath – and dream of that luxury Bali villa rental if you’re not going this year!